New Year, New Resolutions For Travel
Happy New Year Everyone!!!
For some of us, this symbolizes new plans, good intentions or a combination of both. For me I definitely have a massive plan ahead of me for this year which will take undying commitment for the foreseeable future. I will be going on a Spending Diet for the next 12 months, in an attempt to save for another ‘Trip of A Lifetime’ in February 2014.
How much are we talking here?? $15K Eastern Caribbean Dollars (XCD) in 12 months…. Sounds pretty hard doesn’t it?? A big part of being able to travel, is being able to save enough cash. The thing that makes travel affordable, is how well you budget that money to get the most out of it. While I try to save this $15K, I have regular bills to pay, a car to take care of, insure etc. and the normal day-to-day expenses to keep up with. So you may now ask how is that going to work? The short story: I have to cut back on my spending, and make an everyday conscious effort to put in my savings instead of leaking it out of my pocket.
It’s hard to realize how fast small amounts add up! A $5 here on that ‘final’ drink, a $4 cup of brew everyday and paying $20 a week for Blackberry Service plans add up in no time. I’m going to need to make sacrifices if I really want this trip. Somethings worth having, don’t come easy. So here are a few of my Saving Guidelines for 2013:
(Prices are in XCD)
1. Go out less… (night outs cost a lot of money, and will tempt you to spend more than your intended budget)
2. Watch more movies online. (Save $25 -$30 on a movie night).
3. Start to pack meals to work (Average lunch costs $20+)
4. Stop using the ATM so fast (ATM fees do add up)
5. Replace BBM with Whatsapp… (a cheaper alternative)
6. Stop buying new clothes unless absolutely necessary
7. Quit buying things I want but don’t need. (For example, fashion accessories)
8. Start polishing my own nails more often
9. Save all loose change in a piggy bank…(all those cents do turn into dollars)
10. Create a vacation fund, and pay that first, then live off the remaining balance.
These guidelines will be difficult to follow at times, especially when friends don’t want to accept why you want to stay in on a weekend. Times like this is when I will need to read other travel blogs to remind myself of how awesome it will be in the end.
So that’s my New Year Resolution! What’s yours??