When it comes to packing electronics for travel, there are several basic necessities. The universal ‘musts’ that we’d be crazy to leave at home. The camera, I believe, would top most other devices on a packing list. Come on now, you’ve travelled how many miles to get there, and you’re leaving with no proof???
However, I would like to introduce my new best friend: The Kindle.
I bought my kindle during my last trip to New York in early February 2011, and I’m now totally addicted. Honestly, the only other two devices that have my utmost devotion, are my blackberry mobile and my Macbook Pro. Now, I know I said that I planned to pack extremely light on this trip, but what am I to do during long haul flights?? I have not one, not two, but THREE long haul flights within my 4 week trip, and I will be traveling solo for two of them. This is where my kindle will save the day.
* Size and Weight – Regardless of how light you need to pack, the kindle weighs less than most books at only 8.5 ounces.
* Battery life – With wifi turned off, the kindle will keep going and going and going, up to 2 months! Great for travelers, since we won’t always have access to charging facilities.
* Digital Companion – Will keep me company on seemingly endless flights and bus rides, and will possibly make me look like less of a loner while sitting at a cafe or in a park all by myself. Yes, I’m pretty sure this is one of the downsides of solo travel!
* If you allow yourself, you could get pretty much wrapped up in the kindle, thus missing out on all of the fascinating things which your new destination has to offer. (Wouldn’t want to risk reading while walking…then tripping and falling over!) Try to limit usage to travels in transit, or just before bed time.
* The books for kindle are available for purchase once you are connected to wifi. This will demand self control, as your budget could take a small hit if you’re not careful. Luckily, most kindle books cost less than regular paperbacks.
My kindle already has its own special place in my backpack, and it’s most definitely coming along! I highly recommend it.